What is it?
SEMAGLUTIDE (SEM a GLOO tide) promotes weight loss. It is a GLP-1 receptor agonist, which is a medication that can help reduce blood sugar while slowing down how quickly food leaves your stomach during gastric emptying. This process helps your body stay fuller longer, leading to decreased food intake and ultimately weight loss. Levocarnitine is a supplement that plays a role in metabolism by helping the body turn fat into energy. For optimal results, this medication should be used in conjunction with a healthy diet and exercise.
HOW TO USE THIS MEDICATION?
This medication is injected under the skin. You will be taught how to prepare and give it. Take it as directed on the prescription label. It is given once every week (every 7 days). Keep taking it unless your care team tells you to stop. Dosing varies by patient. To minimize the risk of nausea and other GI side effects, dosing is gradually increased each week. A typical dosing regimen is as follows: Inject 0.1mL (10 units) SQ once weekly. You may increase 0.1mL each week as tolerated to a maximum dose of 1.0mL injected each week.
WHAT ARE SOME POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS?
- Nausea (most common)
- Indigestion, belching, bloating
- Diarrhea or Constipation
- Abdominal Pain
HOW DO I STORE THE MEDICATION?
Keep out of the reach of children and pets.
Refrigeration (preferred): Store in the refrigerator. Do not freeze. Keep this medication in the original container until you are ready to take it. Get rid of any unused medication after the expiration date.
Protect from light. If it is stored at room temperature, get rid of any unused medication after 28 days or after it expires, whichever is first.
WHAT MAY INTERACT WITH THIS MEDICATION?
- Insulin and other medications for diabetes
- Endocrine tumors (MEN 2) or if someone in your family had these tumors
- Kidney or Liver Disease
- Personal or family history of thyroid cancer
- Pregnant or trying to get pregnant
CAUTION IN PATIENTS WITH THE FOLLOWING:
- History of pancreatitis
- History of gallbladder disease
- Suicidal thoughts, plans, or attempt
WHAT IF I MISS A DOSE?
If you miss a dose and the next scheduled dose is more than 3 days away, take the missed dose as soon as possible. If you miss a dose and the next scheduled dose is less than 3 days away, do not take the missed dose. Take the next dose at your regular time. Do not take double or extra doses. If you miss your dose for 2 weeks or more, take the next dose at your regular time or call your care team to talk about how to restart this medication.
- All weight loss patients will schedule a consult and meet with a provider to go through all medical information, patient concerns, and symptoms.
- Laboratory work will be drawn and assessed on each patient to confirm they are a candidate for weight loss before the follow-up appointment can be scheduled and medication dispensed.
- Subsequent laboratory studies will be completed every 3 months or when recommended by the provider.
- You will receive the first injection in the office administered by an experienced provider for patient instruction and technique.
- Patient will take all 3 Semaglutide vials home for weekly injections and communicate with the provider for any questions or concerns.
- Patient must maintain routine follow-up and weight reports.
- The patient will call the office when starting the last vial to schedule an appointment for labs. If a medication refill is desired, the office will order more vials for the patient.