Top 5 surgical procedures in 2012
- Breast augmentation – 330,631
- Lipoplasty (liposuction) – 313,011
- Abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) – 156,508
- Blepharoplasty (cosmetic eyelid surgery) – 153,171
- Rhinoplasty – 143,801
Top 5 nonsurgical procedures in 2012
- Botulinum Toxin Type A (including Botox and Dysport) – 3,257,913
- Hyaluronic Acid (including Juvederm, Perlane/Restylane, Belotero, Prevelle, Elevess) – 1,423,705
- Laser hair removal – 883,893
- Microdermabrasion – 498,821
- Chemical Peel – 443,824
- Hyaluronic Acid injectables (including Hyalform, Juvederm, Perlane/ Restylane) have quickly been gaining in popularity. ASAPS added Hyaluronic Acid to the survey in 2004, and in 2012 these procedures are only 2nd in popularity to Botox.
- For the second year in a row this survey asked the doctors for the total number of non-surgical procedures being performed in their practices by BOTH physicians and their physician assistants and nurse injectors. The TOTAL number of procedures performed in the practices surveyed: Botulinum Toxin Type A (4,125,179); Hyaluronic Acid (1,806,806); Laser Hair Removal (1,224,920);and Chemical Peel (718,465); and Microdermabrasion (672,430).
- When procedures performed by physician assistants and nurse injectors are included, the total number of cosmetic surgical and nonsurgical procedures performed in the United States in 2012 increases to over 12.6 million.
Statistics courtesy of American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery