Have you ever walked by a window, looked at the reflection of the woman beside you, and thought that she looked pretty, except she looked tired? Then you realized you were looking at yourself?
Well, if you haven’t, then kudos to your skin care regimen, your self-esteem, or the fact that you are still in your 20’s! While I cannot personally provide counseling for your self-esteem, or change the fact that you are no longer 20-something and still blissfully enjoying youth, I can help you find that youthful face again without needles (of course a little BOTOX® is always a good thing too, but that’s a blog for another day). Resurfacing your skin by using effective, topical products is an excellent way to turn the hands of time back a bit. Bear with me as this blog is a little lengthy but important as an overall regimen.
Have you ever noticed how a young person’s skin glows? That is a result of the outer layer of dead skin cells being thin, and the light being able to bounce off the thick, healthy, new layer underneath. When we are young, our skin turns over approximately every 28 days. However, as we get older, that time lengthens to as much as almost 50 days. That means that the old, dead, outer layer is getting thicker and the healthy new layer is getting thinner.
But, we can change that! If you want to jump start the process, start with a chemical peel or a series of microdermabrasion treatments to shed that dead outer layer that dulls the complexion, creates an uneven texture, and contains a large portion of age spots or hyper-pigmentations. However, if that doesn’t fit in with your schedule, we can still get your skin to that youthful glow with a little more time with at-home topical products. There are 5 essential steps to rejuvenating aging skin (elective add-ons can be nice too but not essential).
- Exfoliating Cleanser: Cleansing your skin seems so basic, and it is. But, you can actually do more than just get the day’s dirt off when washing your face, neck, and décolleté (never forget the neck and décolleté). Using a cleanser in the morning and at bedtime that has an exfoliating factor helps to not only clean your skin, but it keeps that dead outermost layer at bay as well.
- We recommend Neo-Cleanse Exfoliating Skin Cleanser by Neocutis, which contains 10% glycolic acid to retexturize your skin.
- Revision’s Brightening Facial Wash is a best-selling cleanser with Alpha and Beta Hydroxy Acids and brightening botanicals that removes the day’s impurities, leaving skin clean and hydrated.
- Use an Antioxidant Everyday: After washing your face, neck, and décolleté in the morning, you will want to protect your skin from the sun and environmental exposure by using an antioxidant. Antioxidants help negate the effects of free radicals, boost production of collagen and give skin a youthful and radiant appearance. A reduction in fine lines and wrinkles and hyperpigmentation can be seen in as little as 12 weeks after starting the use of an antioxidant. We have two antioxidant products at our office that we recommend.
- Revision Skincare’s Vitamin C lotion is a lightweight formula available in 15% and 30% concentrations and also contains Vitamin E and Coenzyme Q10.
- Neocutis’ RéActive Antioxidant Serum provides a 15% Vitamin C concentration combined with Vitamin E and additional antioxidants.
- Use a Prescriptive Strength Retinol Product: Retinol skin care products are the number one product to reverse and slow skin aging. They work by first exfoliating the dead outer layer of your skin, but it also thickens the healthy new layer. Therefore, aging skin takes on the structure of more youthful skin with a faster cell turnover rate, a thinner uppermost layer, and a thicker new cell layer. Retinoids are also capable of intervening in the cascade of collagen breakdown.
It’s never too soon or too late to intervene to stop the cycle. Retinol products should only be used at night. They should be used on completely dry skin (and that includes moisture from other products), and they should be the last product you put on before bedtime. It should be washed off in the morning. Sunscreen is a must for skin that is treated with a retinol product because it will be more sun sensitive! Who wants to undo all their hard work by getting a sunburn? There are several products and concentrations of Retinol products we recommend.
- A generic prescription of tretinoin in 0.025%, 0.05%, or 0.1% depending on your skin’s experience with retinol products and your personal skincare needs.
- Revision Skincare’s Retinol Facial Repair is formulated with high levels of pure, time-released Retinol for maximum efficacy and minimal irritation.
- Neocutis’ Nouvelle+Retinol Correction Cream delivers Retinol 0.6% through a unique technology that helps provide a sustained dose of Retinol for optimal Efficacy with low irritation. It also contains Melaplex, which is a hydroquinone-free ingredient that diminishes the appearance of age spots and uneven skin tone.
- Use a Restorative Eye Cream: The under-eye skin is one of the first areas of your skin to show the signs of aging. The thin skin loses its elasticity faster and the fat deposits underneath start to shrink, creating that puffy and “sunken eye” look. The fragility that also results from the thinning can leave you with a crepe texture. This is why it’s important to protect this skin from sun damage to prevent thinning. It’s also important to target one or more of the skin care methods to boost the strength of your skin and promote collagen growth to retain the structural integrity. There are several options offered at our office.
- BioCream and Bio Cream Riche by Neocutis, although not labeled as eye treatments per se, are formulated with Human Growth factors and Interleukins to rejuvenate aging skin. They are so gentle that they can be used post-procedure; therefore, it is great for the sensitive eye area.
- Also from Neocuits, BioGel is a unique hydrogel combines 0.5% PSP with the hydration of hyaluronate to restore radiance to the stressed eye area and reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Lumière and Lumière Riche by Neocutis are bio-restorative eye creams formulated with PSP, hyaluronate, caffeine, bisabolol, and glycyrrhetinic acid reduces fine lines and wrinkles, under eye darkness, and puffiness.
- Revision offers D·E·J eye cream, which provides intense moisturization for smoother skin texture. Advanced extracts, peptides, and potent antioxidants work cohesively to create clinically proven results.
- Use a Sunscreen Every Day: Your skin’s enemy number one is sun exposure. UVA and UVB rays cause the skin to age prematurely and increase your risk of developing skin cancer. UV rays (tanning bed rays too) start a cascade of events in your skin that become a self-perpetuating breakdown of your collagen. Therefore, a Broad Spectrum Sunscreen is imperative to prevent further breakdown of collagen, prevent development or reinforcement of hyper-pigmentation, and decrease your risk of developing skin cancer.
Applying sunscreen daily should become part of your routine whether you are planning an activity outdoors or not. We encounter incidental sun exposure just from driving, walking to and from our destinations, and even sitting near a window at work. Although your make-up may contain sunscreen, unless it is SPF 30 or greater, it is not enough to stand alone. Do not forget to protect the fragile skin around your eyes!
- Journèe Bio-restorative Day Cream by Neocutis combines the anti-aging benefits of hyaluronate and anti-oxidants with UVA/UVB SPF 30 to rejuvenate, protect and hydrate skin.
- Revision offers Intellishade® Broad-Spectrum SPF 45, an anti-aging tinted moisturizer with sunscreen in original or matte finish that gives skin a touch of sheer, healthy color. Formulated with an advanced peptide and broad-spectrum UVA and UVB protection, it provides protection along with anti-aging benefits and moisturizing.